Basketball Goals vs Basketball Hoops
Basketball goal and basketball hoop are two terms which are often used interchangeably. Our customers frequently ask us if there is a difference between basketball hoops and basketball goals. When it is time to shop for sports equipment, it is helpful to understand the terminology, after all.
Technically, the goal or hoop refers to the orange rim that is mounted to the backboard, but in common language, the terms are used when people are referring to the complete sets that make up basketball systems. Here at First Team Sports, we use the term basketball goals when referring to either complete basketball goal systems
or the rims themselves.
We offer a comprehensive line of made in the USA indoor and outdoor sports equipment: basketball backboard systems (wall mount basketball goals or on a post) for team sports, adjustable goals
for kids, portable goals
for indoor games and driveway outdoor play, and commercial basketball goals that can stand up to the most aggressive playgrounds. Our basketball buying guide
and basketball goal pictures
can help you understand the differences between the types of basketball equipment for sale.
Parts of a Basketball System
A complete basketball system consists of the same general parts, whether it is an in ground basketball goal, a portable basketball goal, or an adjustable portable goal. The basic elements include:
- Backboard: Backboards can be rectangular or fan shaped, and are available in many different sizes and materials. First Team offers everything from regulation size tempered glass wall mount backboards for colleges to an affordable acrylic backboard and rim combo-portable basketball system units for home use. (Acrylic provides a better rebound than a polycarbonate backboard). We also offer backboards in steel, perforated aluminum, fiberglass, and smoked tempered glass.
- Rim: The orange ring from which the net hangs. Can also be called the goal or hoop. Options include the competition breakaway steel rim, heavy duty or recreation flex goal, and the fixed rim. First Team also offers ultra heavy double rims for playgrounds where aggressive play is the norm.
- Net: Made of nylon or metal chain (for playgrounds).
- Extension Arm (or boom): The extension arm projects forward from the vertical post to create the overhang for the safe play area. On fixed inground basketball goals, the extension arm does not move. On a First Team portable basketball goal, the extension arm folds down to a height that can easily fit under a door frame for storage next to your outdoor power equipment in the garage or roll into a storage closet in your gymnasium. Many of our wall mount acrylic or glass backboards offer an adjustable arm that allows you to set a custom distance from wall to backboard to align with your existing basketball court markings. Some models also feature an arm that folds back to one side to store the backboard safely to make room for other sports in multi-use facilities.
- Post / Pole: Also called the support structure or standard, this is the vertical piece to which the backboard is attached. Depending on the model, our adjustable units can easily moved from as low 5'6� up to the full 10' regulation basketball goal height. Wall mount and roof mount products will not have a vertical post.
The basketball goal
vs. basketball hoop
terminology can also have to do with the quality of the basketball training equipment. If you are shopping online for a cheap portable unit for a toddler or little kid, it will be called a hoop. The same is true for a table basketball game, a cheap pro mini hoop with over the door mounts, flimsy plastic units for pools, or a product like the Spalding acrylic backboard set or Spalding polycarbonate portable basketball goal Walmart
sells. Top brands in the sport generally call their equipment basketball goals or systems. At First Team, we take great pride in manufacturing the most well made goals and accessories for your home, school, recreational facility, gymnasium, playground, and even your pool. Read the reviews to learn how different a heavy duty American made basketball system is as compared to lightweight units. When you want sports equipment that will last for years, or even a lifetime, call First Team
. From ultra-safe and sturdy patio basketball goals for kids
to a regulation tempered glass backboard with a breakaway basketball goal that meets all standards for NCAA men and women's competition, we manufacture it all to the most exacting standards right here in the USA. If you are training basketball players to excel at their sport, get on board with the best!
Shopping for First Team Sports Equipment
Since 1996, First Team, Inc. has been manufacturing top quality sporting goods equipment for basketball, men's lacrosse, soccer, volleyball, and football. Based in Hutchinson, Kansas, we are dedicated to Made In the USA domestic manufacturing, quality assurance, friendly customer service, and providing the safest, most durable and dependable products available every time. First Team believes in offering our clients value-added information like our basketball buying guide for regulation and home courts. We are proud to be the top choice of athletic directors, coaches, facility directors, equipment managers and homeowners across the nation.